Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Restoring Floppy Wonky Cardboard Game Boxes \o/

Spurned on by my friend NuckingFuts forum thread on underground-gamer, and various tutorial videos, we tried to take some floppy, old, and miffed up cardboard NES boxes everyone has that don't close anymore, and make them somewhat decent again. Instead of just copy/pasting the thread from there, I'll just post my part of the experiment and my results thereof.

First, the summary of the idea and what the tutorial videos tell you to do. The idea is to soak/dip the unfolded flattened cardboard box into water, squash it between something with protection and weights, and let it dry for 2 whole weeks. In the original video *linked at end*, the box was entirely soaked for an extended period of time, and was sandwiched between two sheets of tin foil, and had a large book and weights put on top of it, and left to dry in that state. The results were quite nice in the end. However, I got as good if not similar results using slightly altered methods as I will explain.

I wanted to contribute to this, so I found a test box of my own, in this case a Official NES Cleaning Kit. As you will see in the pictures that will be posted, the bottom end of the box was really miffed up, wouldn't close anymore, and the side spines had a crease up their middles.


You can see the ragged bottom


Uncloseable


I do not own the accessory that goes into the box anymore, so I figured this was the perfect candidate to try this process on without consequences.

I took the box and unfolded it completely and flattened it. I then filled my kitchen sink with luke warm water and dipped the box into it for merely a second or two, no longer, as according to others results, the longer it soaks, the longer it takes to dry. I then took the wet box and let it drip dry for a moment to let excess water wick away. I then proceeded to take two plastic ziplock bags and sandwich the wet box in between them, and proceeded to put a large book on top of the sandwiched box, with two weights on top of that, as you will see in the next set of images.



Between two baggies.



Under the weight of religion...



And even more weight, I used 6.5kg x 2 weights.


Then the trick is, to have it be as completely flat as can be, and let it dry under the weights for an extended period of time. The original video stated that a 2 week period should be the ideal time, whereas it was found that as long as you do not over soak, 2 weeks is ridiculous. Mine however, having only soaked a second and left flat between the bags under the weights, took only 24 hours to completely dry. Although, after about 12 hours, it was close to dry, so I took it from under the weights and let it air dry normally, which in my case was an alright thing to do.


Here are some of the after shots:


Nice and flat...



I'd say thats pretty square!



Looking good!


And, here is the finished experiment:



Ta-dah!


Alright, now for my thoughts and a few other things. Anything in bold, was either only done by me so as to deviate from the original experiment to gain better results and understanding. IE: I used zip lock bags instead of tin foil, I used less weight, I used less drying time, I used luke warm water instead of cold, and I let it finish drying not weighed down. Even with those variables changed, it seems the trick still works, as my box is now ten times more rigid, the flaps close into place as they should now, and the box stands up straight.

I would have to say, if done properly like has been shown by me here, and by NuckingFuts in his forum thread, the tutorial youtube videos, and my own experimentation, that this is a totally viable way to "fix up" ragged boxes with bad tabs. This does *NOT* however do ANYTHING for the cosmetic damages the box may have sustained over years of abuse.

Also a note on fading. There was absolutely none on my test box. Most of these NES boxes are coated in a type of wax of sorts, and the water really only soaks into the bare parts on the inside.

I urge people to try this themselves and experiment with it. I wouldn't start with your priceless prized game box at first until you get the idea and understand all the logistics involved. Give it a shot, with some boxes I've seen, what've you got to loose?

Thanks for reading.

LINKS:

YouTube Tutorial Pt 1 - LINK

YouTube Tutorial Pt 2 - LINK

British Kid Response 1 - LINK

British Kid Response 2 - LINK

1 comment:

tecra said...

cool blog bro, haw